Sunday, January 09, 2011

Covered with Courage

Here's another recently realized nugget: courage doesn't mean being without fear, it means being fearful and still walking. I've been learning how to live well with a heart whose bottom occasionally falls out (i.e. waves of fear and anxiety). My first preference and approach is to find a solution that eliminates the feeling. Obvious, right? I wouldn't want it any other way; for me or for others. And I'm finding some really great ways that are making a difference. Ways, like routes, that help me avoid encountering those rough, anxious obstacles along the road. BUT, I was reminded today in the midst of a wave of anxiety (and trying to combat it) that I can be courageous AND anxious. It may sound obvious, but it actual brought me comfort in the midst of this uncomfortable feeling. Even though I desperately wanted the feeling to go away, I felt like I could rest while carrying fear. Imagine a traveler who occasionally finds himself bothered by an unwelcome growling, barking mutt. Try as he may for methods of keeping this dog away, it occurs to him to put a leash on it and bring it along. The idea I had felt something like bagging my fear, covering it with courage, swinging it over my shoulder, and proceeding to walk into the woods. I can't always keep from feeling anxious waves crash on my shores, but I also don't have to let them keep me from being courageous and continuing to swim.

It's not earth-shattering, but it helps.

No comments: